Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ian Farwell (Misc Post #1)

This is my first post I hope this works. I don't think I have seen anyone else post yet, so I hope I am doing this right.

I guess star sightings will be relatively easy for me this semester since I am taking the television symposium course at USC. As I am sure most of you know, the symposium features stars and cast members from many popular television shows. This week we watched a screening of Ray Ramano's Everybody Loves Raymond and his new show Men of a Certain Age. After the screening Ray Ramano and others came to a Q & A session with our class. Ray Ramano is actually funnier in person and I think everyone in the class had a pretty good time during the 2 hour Q &A. It was an interesting experience, because even though I don't like to pry into the personal lives of these stars it is interesting to look into their professional lives in order to better understand an industry that is a mystery to me. This non-personal agenda is well facilitated in the symposium, because we are not allowed to ask about their personal lives.
I don't know how interesting next week is gonna be, because I think we will be working on Melrose Place. LOL.

2 comments:

karen said...

I haven't watched the show but I've seen the commercials . . . he seems to be playing against type/persona. Raymond developed out of his stand up routines (and Dr. Katz appearances) about being a neurotic yet lovable Dad and husband but now he's playing this sort of sleazy(?) divorced guy. Actually, maybe this is the logical next step from Raymond.

ifarwell said...

Much of this was touched on during the Q & A. The cast did mention that the episode we watched was very different from all the other episodes in the series, and in our episode he did not seem so much sleazy but in crisis.
As for Ray's character transition between the different shows, Ray said that both characters are reflective of the different developmental stages of his personal life. This seemed to be an interesting little tidbit of trivia that he conveniently elected not to elaborate on.
- For me it was a fun experience and it looks like this should be a unique final semester for me at USC.