Monday, March 8, 2010

Supplemental Post #1

I am commenting on Matt R.'s CORE POST about Elvis. He asked the question: Would Elvis Presley be successful today?

I think Elvis could definitely be successful today if he were the teenage/young twenties Elvis just starting out. We all saw this when we watched King Creole in class, but I wanted to post this particular scene again. It's the scene where Elvis plays his guitar and sings so the shopgoers won't realize a robbery is going on:



This song, "Lover Doll" is like many of his songs at this point in his career. It's catchy, cute, and all the girls (and even women) can't help but find his singing and guitar playing irresistable. I could definitely see him garnering the same type of attention as the Jonas Brothers today, for example. Young Elvis was attractive, charming and had just enough rebel and sensuality about him that would be just as appealing today. I think he would be viewed very similarly as many of today's singer songwriters and could definitely be a great success. The Jonas Brothers have movies where thing sing too, don't they? Movies showcasing his music could still be made today, and as his career went on, he could end up with a long term gig in Vegas. Elvis' music is still very much enjoyed today and I think that's it is very possible that he would be successful today.

EDIT: I just searched the Jonas Brothers on youtube and came across a recent music video of theirs which at one point, shows them as singers in a club, like Elvis in King Creole. The song is very simple, sung and accompanied by guitar. I am not in any way trying to compare Elvis' music with that of the Jonas Brothers, but do believe there are certain traits the two have in common. My opinion stands: I believe Elvis would be successful today.

No comments: