Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tweeting (Supplemental Post #4)

Following our discussion in class yesterday on tweeting and our discussion on John Mayer I came across an article from Access Hollywood on John Mayer and his thoughts on Twitter. He was saying that he thinks that “its over, to be honest with you”. I feel the same way about Twitter, its amazing how enthralled people become with celebrities and their need to know what they are doing or thinking every second. When if you think about it their publicist is most likely telling them what to say or even writing it for them, so the authenticity of the celebrity is not necessarily true. It’s a constructed image of the celebrity that is usually created in order to promote a film they are coming out with or to keep them connected with their fans.

I have a friend who plays for a major league baseball team and he told me that his publicist made him get a Twitter in order to stay in contact with his fans and develop a connection with them. He would regularly tweet a few times a day about random things that had popped in his head like song lyrics, what he had for breakfast, and what he did the previous night. He was suppose to show his fans he was a “real” person just like them and had a life outside of baseball. After about 6 months of tweeting he deleted his account because he said he was tired of constantly posting tweets everyday, and that it ruined his focus during the season.


I have a Twitter but I can’t remember the last time I tweeted on it, I couldn’t imagine having to make sure I posted a few times a day about my thoughts of the day or what I was going to do. But this maybe because I know that I don’t really have any followers that care to constantly know when I’m in class or going to the gym. This fastinitation that people have come to develop about celebrities has grown to an obsession that constantly makes them check what club Broody Jenner went to that night.

No comments: